Best Knife Sharpeners (Buyers Guide) of 2020
It is hard to imagine routines without the cutting edge of a good knife. Our sharpeners now make it possible to quickly sharpen dull knives in a few seconds. This helps you finish your work, and offers safety, in addition to extending the life of a knife. Here is an unbiased review of the Best Knife Sharpener this year.
5 Professional Knife Sharpeners of Our Choice
|CHEF’S CHOICE 1520 ELECTRIC KNIFE SHARPENER||VIEW ON AMAZON →Read Our Review|
|PRESTO 08810 ELECTRIC KNIFE SHARPENER||VIEW ON AMAZON →Read Our Review|
|BROD & TAYLOR CLASSIC KNIFE SHARPENER||VIEW ON AMAZON →Read Our Review|
|SUNRISEPRO SUPREME KNIFE SHARPENER||VIEW ON AMAZON →Read Our Review|
|WUSTHOF PETEC ELECTRIC SHARPENER||VIEW ON AMAZON →Read Our Review|
Chef’s Choice 1520 Electric Knife Sharpener
- Quality 94% 94%
- Design 95% 95%
- Blade 90% 90%
- Price 85% 85%
This is an electric knife sharpener that permits sharpening of both 15 degree and 20 degree bevel edges of knifes. Diamond abrasives, and patented stropping discs make this unique and innovative.
- 3 Stage System – This makes it possible to use a combination of two stages to sharpen the knife to the desired angle and polish it.
- Angle Selection option – This allows users to sharpen the knife to the desired angle of 15 degrees or 20 degrees.
- Diamond Abrasive – This makes the edges sharp and even with limited passes and in the shortest possible time, without removing too much of the metal.
- Flexible Polishing Disk – The strop gives an extremely polished finish to the knife. The 3rd stage makes it possible to sharpen serrated knives.
- Swift and easy to use. Limited number of passes through each stage will get the desired sharpened edge.
- Possible to sharpen serrated edges easily.
- Has a guide system that gives optimum results
- Sharpens all types of knives easily
- On the expensive side
- Limited warranty
Reasons to Choose
Though it is on the expensive side, it is one of the Best Knife Sharpener. It takes just a few seconds to sharpen your knives without having to use skill or technique.
Presto 08810 Electric Knife Sharpener
- Quality 98% 98%
- Design 97% 97%
- Blade 99% 99%
- Price 75% 75%
This product manufactured in China, sharpens all types of knives, and has a plastic body encasing the sharpening mechanism and ceramic knife sharpener. This three stage electric knife sharpener handles sharpening of desired angles.
- Adjustable Blade Selector – Choose a blade selector as per thickness and type of knife
- Simple Operation – Does not require the use of pressure to sharpen the edges
- Heavy Grinding Action In The First Stage – This makes dull knives sharper as per desired edge degrees
- Optimum Sharpening Angles – Handles super smooth thin knives to heavy hunting knives
- Blade Guides – This handles the holding of the blades with the right pressure
- Sapphirite Coarse Grinders – The Sapphirite coarse grinders are effective in sharpening knives fast
- Ceramic Wheel Polishing – The last stage of ceramic wheel polishing gives an ultimate finish for a sharp edge
- Interchangeable blade makes it easy to use for sharpening all blades
- High speed sharpening of dull knives
- The guides keep the knives in place
- Sharpens serrated knives with similar results as smooth edges
- Plastic body – needs to be handled with care
- Limited warranty of one year
Reasons to Choose
This offers high-speed sharpening and has exceptional results when it comes to handling dull knives that require to be sharpened. The interchangeable blades help to make this smoother.
Brod & Taylor Classic Knife Sharpener
- Quality 90% 90%
- Design 92% 92%
- Blade 89% 89%
- Price 86% 86%
This is one of the best manual knife sharpeners in the market. It offers a simple and cost-effective solution for sharpening knives anywhere. It is simple and easy to use for sharpening all types of knives.
- Austrian Tungsten Carbide – The tungsten carbide tips make sharpening a lot easier and faster
- A Wide Range Of Angles – The sharpener permits sharpening of all angles of knives and serrated knives
- Best Choice For Daily Sharpening – Ideal for daily use as it keeps the knives sharp and polished easily
- Sharpens Without Grinding – Does not remove the metal through grinding, extending the life of a knife.
- Both Directions – The sharpening movement can be performed in both directions unlike the grinding action
- Flexible Adjustments Of Angles – Permits knives from 12 degrees to 20 degrees to be sharpened
- The tungsten carbide tips are known to last for more than five years
- Permits knives to be sharpened as per desired angles from 12 degrees to 20 degrees
- Can sharpen serrated edges of knives
- Requires basic handling knowledge of getting the right angles to bevel edges
- Polishing the knives are cumbersome in this model
Reasons To Choose
This can be used anywhere and it does not remove the metal of the blades that are seen in grinding actions. It offers versatility, and quickly sharpens knives.
SunrisePro Supreme Knife Sharpener
- Quality 85% 85%
- Design 87% 87%
- Blade 84% 84%
- Price 50% 50%
This manual knife sharpener relies on Tungsten Carbide for the sharpening action, and is one of the most compact models featured here. It can be used for sharpening all knives and thick serrated knives.
- Manual Knife Sharpener – Does not involve any moving components that may need to be replaced or serviced
- Simple Operation – Place the knife at the desired angle in the guide and draw in a simple motion for quick results over three passes
- Handles All Sharpening Requirements – Sharpens knives and serrated knives, of all thicknesses and angles with the exception of extremely thin serrated blades
- High-speed Sharpening – Takes a few seconds to complete the sharpening action as it involves a single stage
- Tungsten Carbide – The naturally occurring coarse material does not remove metal during the process of sharpening
- One of the most compact models that are available
- Comes with a unique suction base for a firm grip on countertops
- The low priced model offers value for money and delivers good results
- The tungsten carbide does not remove metal with a grinding action
- Cannot be used for sharpening thing serrated blades
Reasons To Choose
This is a llow-cost option and is very handy for use in the kitchen and outdoors. It does not require special skill to sharpen and fetches results at high speed.
Wusthof PEtec Electric Sharpener
- Quality 92% 92%
- Design 83% 83%
- Blade 88% 88%
- Price 79% 79%
This is the US manufactured electric sharpener, that sharpens knives over three stages. It offers an extremely sharp edge and takes a few passes over each stage to offer a great finish.
- Electric Sharpener – This does not require any manual effort in sharpening the knives; the knives need to be just drawn smoothly through the guides
- Different Edge Angles – It handles sharpening of knives of all edge angles
- Handles Knives Of All Thickness –It swiftly sharpens knives of all thicknesses and smooth edges
- Requires No Skill – Does not require special skill in sharpening, the knives need to be drawn out through each stage of the sharpener thrice
- Effective Guides For Simplified Sharpening – The guides take care of the pressure that needs to be exerted on the blades for sharpening
- Precision And Refined Edge – The sharpener offers precision and refined edge to the blades
- Sharpens extremely fast and without the need for special skills
- Higher performing model, takes care of large knives and dull knives easily
- Three passes through each stage gets the best results in the shortest possible time
- Blades become wobbly after use, needs maintenance
- On the expensive side
Reasons To Choose
It works on all types of knives, is one of the top rated knife sharpening systems, offers the best results in sharpening with simple movements through the sharpeners. It offers full value for money and is a world class product.
What to Look for When Choosing the Best Kitchen Knife Sharpener
With the information overload of multiple features advertised online, you may sometimes feel lost about what you need to look for in a knife sharpener. Here is what you need to check out before settle on a particular model.
Manual vs. Electric
In a manual model, you will have to adjust the pressure and the angle of sharpening action, in addition to calculating the number of passes required to sharpen the knife. In an electric model, you only need to run the blade through the stones a few times.
Knives have bevels on both sides and the edge angle determines the cutting efficiency. There are typically two edge angles, 15 degrees and 20 degrees. Make sure that the sharpener you choose permits you to sharpen both edge angles.
Look for a model that offers convenience and speed. Ideally, your knives need to be sharpened in a maximum of three passes through the coarse stones. And you should not be expected to adjust your pressure with precision.
The knife sharpener needs to offer versatile functions – you may need serrated edges to be sharpened, you may want to polish the knife, in addition to sharpening the dull edges.
The price range extends from a little above 10 dollars to a little above 150 dollars. All factors need to be considered and weighed before you settle on a price band. For instance, a manual model will be a lot cheaper, when compared with an electric model.
Look for a product that offers the maximum warranty for the materials and workmanship. Rusting is usually not covered by warranty, as all materials are likely to rust if proper care is not taken. You will find that most companies offer anywhere between one to three years of warranty.
Benefits Of Electric Knife Sharpeners
It is possible that you may be wondering about the specific benefits of a knife sharpener. You are obviously aware that it sharpens survival knives, but you may not have looked at the clear advantages of using a good knife sharpener. Here are the top four benefits :
#1. Even Edges And Sharpness Offer Greater Safety
Individuals may sometimes scrape/rub knives against coarse stones in an effort to sharpen it. If this is not performed with the right amount of pressure, the knife will end up with uneven edges.
#3. Helps To Complete Cooking Faster
With sharper knives, it is possible to complete cutting of ingredients faster, which helps in finishing cooking faster.
#4. Simple, Safe And Convenient
A knife sharpener is simple, safe and convenient to use. Knives can be sharpened without any special skills or training.
How To Use Knife Sharpening System
Using a top rated knife sharpener is pretty easy. There are simple instructions that need to be followed to ensure that the knife is sharpened the right way.
#1. The knife blade should be pulled through the coarse slot first, followed by pulling it through other slots progressively.
#2. The blades should always be pulled in a single direction, i.e. from the base of the blade to the tip, and never in a back and forth motion.
#3. Ideally, the number of passes that are required for sharpening a blade are two through every slot.
#4. The blade needs to be washed after sharpening though sharpeners collect the shavings form the blade.
Choose the best kitchen knife sharpener after carefully assessing each model’s features in the knife sharpener reviews. Bear in mind that you need to look for a sharpener that is extremely convenient to use, one that is safe, offering the best results. The durability of the sharpener and its maintenance also needs to be considered before you compare the prices of different models.