15 Best Hunting Knives in 2020 [Ultimate Hunting Knife Guide]
Finding the best hunting knife doesn’t have to be a challenge when you know what you’re looking for. Hunting knives come in dozens of sizes, styles, and materials, and the only thing you need to consider is what type of game you’ll be hunting and what your personal preferences are. The rest is fairly simple.
At a Glance : Our Top 5 Pick For Best Hunting Knives
The Best Hunting Knife
Outdoor Edge Razor Pro - Double Blade Hunting Knife
The Outdoor Edge RazorPro is a foldable knife for hunting that comes with two blades. The RazorPro is somewhat similar to an EDC Knife which includes a 3.5″ replaceable razor-safe blade and a 3.1″ gutting blade. It comes with six replacement blades and a non-slip rubberized grip for comfort and practicality. It also comes with a nylon sheath to protect the product and make it easy to carry around with you wherever you go.
The best quality hunting knives are going to include an overall ability to last a very long time, and the Outdoor Edge RazorPro is a high-quality knife that is designed to withstand a lot of abuse and keep on going. Its overall design, reasonable price, and numerous extra features all work together to make this a top choice when it comes to steeany type of hunting products.
- It has foldable stainless steel blades for longevity and durability
- It is lightweight at only 8.3 oz.
- It is available in two colors: black and orange
- Some complaints about the removal of the blade being difficult
- Some complaints that the locking pin for the replacement blade broke the first time it was used
- Some complaints about the blade being impossible to remove
Buck Knives 0110BRS 110 Famous Folding Hunter Knife
Complete with a well-made leather sheath, the Buck Knives folding hunter’s knife has a nail notch on the blade that makes it easy to open and a special mechanism to keep the blade open while you’re working with it so that you can stay safe the entire time. The clip point blade is 3 3/4″ long and is made out of HC steel for extra durability. With the sharp blade that comes with it, you can do everything from pierce or slice something to execute detail work easily and quickly.
The sheath has sturdy snaps on it to keep the item extra secure, and the knife is both long-lasting and super-easy to use. If you need a high-quality product that is built to last but you’re on a budget, the folding hunter knife made by Buck Knives is the one you want.
- A sturdy product that is also lightweight at 7.2 oz.
- It contains ebony inlays on the handle and brass bolsters for both beauty and durability
- It is made by a reliable company that has made various hunting products for over one-hundred years
- Some users complained that it tarnished quickly
- Some complaints about it being difficult to close
- Some users complained that the blade wouldn’t close
ESEE 5P Black Tactical Survival Knife
With a 5.25″ blade and an overall length of 11 inches, the ESEE 5P tactical survival knife has a beautiful black finish and a micarta handle, a Kydex sheath, and most importantly, a rating of more than 4 stars on sites such as Amazon and others. That customers are pleased with this knife shouldn’t be a surprise, especially considering it is great for field, tactical, and survival operations.
This is a thick and sturdy knife that can take a lot of abuse and keep on going. Best of all, it looks like a military knife and is great for a number of hunting applications. Heavy-duty but lightweight at under 14 oz., the 5P tactical survival knife is a great all-purpose knife that you’ll end up using for just about everything.
- Super strong and built to last
- Sturdy carbon steel blade
- Designed by military instructors and therefore reliable
- Some complaints about the handle being uncomfortable
- Some users say it doesn’t do smaller work very well
- Some complaints about the handle being too bulky and large
Snake Eye Tactical Fixed Blade Hunting Knife
The Snake Eye Tactical hunting knife is a great skinning knife and one of the best hunting products on the market today. This knife has a 4.5″ stainless steel blade and a handle made with black nylon fiber. The 9″ overall size and nylon fiber sheath are a great final touch to a sturdy, reliable product, and the reasonable price means you can get started on your next hunting adventure without breaking the bank. The sheath also makes the knife super comfortable as you trek through the woods while you’re on the water fishing.
- Sharp-looking black knife and handle that is also heavy-duty
- Reasonably priced and therefore affordable for everyone
- Lightweight at under 9 oz.
- Some users have complained that the sheath is low-quality
- Some complaints that the knife came very dull and is difficult to sharpen
- Some complaints about the holster breaking shortly after purchase.
Havalon Piranta Z Folding Blade Skinning Knife
- Perfect even for skinning deer, elk, and many other animals
- Comes with extra blades to save you time while in the woods
- Extremely sharp but cleans easily as well
- Some complaints about the screws falling out easily
- Some users claim it is a low-quality knife
- Some complaints about the knife falling off from the handle
Gerber StrongArm Fixed Blade Knife
Available in both black and brown, the Gerber StrongArm fixed edge knife has a 420 HC blade that has a fine edge and is full tang. You also have choices when it comes to carrying it around, you have the option of either a belt, drop-leg option or MOLLE thanks to the sheath and the four mounting pieces. The pommel is sturdy enough to break through almost any hard surface, and the rubberized diamond texture grip makes it comfortable as well as secure to grip and keep in your hand from beginning to end.
- Full tang, sturdy HC blade
- Blade coated in ceramic for extra smooth cutting
- Lightweight at just 14.1 oz. yet very strong and reliable
- Some complaints about the low quality of the sheath
- Some users have complained the knife was very dull
- Some complaints about the snaps in the holster being impossible to unsnap
KA-BAR Becker BK2 Campanion Fixed Blade Knife
This is a heavy-duty full tang field knife that is a multipurpose tool you can use for numerous purposes. The fixed blade is perfect for hunting, camping, and fishing chores, and it comes with a hard-shell black nylon sheath for easy carrying and extra security. Fixed blade knives are super-convenient and strong, and they make cutting, de-boning, and lots of other tasks very simple on your part.
The hard plastic sheath is also MOLLE compatible and the knife weighs a mere 1 lb., meaning you can carry it with you everywhere without it becoming too heavy for you. It also has a sleek look and a sharp-looking black color.
- Multi-purpose tool for chopping, slicing, opening, cutting, and lots more
- It comes with a super-sturdy sheath you can count on for a very long time
- Very easy to open, close, and store away
- Some complaints that the knife is extremely dull
- Some users say the handle is slippery and difficult to hold onto
- Some complaints about the knife snapping in half while being used
Morakniv Companion Fixed Blade Outdoor Knife
Available in eight colors, including black, orange, red, and navy-blue, among others, this knife has a 4.1″ stainless steel blade that is perfect for carving, cutting tinder, and food prep, to name a few. It comes with a matching sheath and a belt clip for easy carrying, as well as a patterned handle that is super easy to grip regardless of the task at hand. It has an overall length of 8 inches and a blade that is 4.1″ long. Best of all, the blade is super sharp and both corrosion- and rust-resistant as well.
This is a razor-sharp knife you can count on for many years to come, in part because it is so easy to take care of and to maintain.
- Very reasonably priced and affordable
- A very practical, multi-purpose knife
- Super-sharp and built sturdy to last for many years
- Some complaints that the knife was very dull
- Some complaints about receiving a used knife
- Some users claim the handle molded after a while
Kershaw Clash Folding Pocket Knife
This folding knife has a 3.1″ blade made out of stainless steel and is a great hunting or fishing tool because you can use it to work on boxes, heavy plastic, and rope, not to mention any cutting, piercing, slicing, or gutting that you do when you’re in the woods or on the lake. It can be used by both left- and right-handers and it is both powerful and reliable. The heat-treated steel means it can take a lot of abuse and keep on going, and it is reasonably priced and therefore affordable for everyone.
The Kershaw serrated pocket knife is the knife you want if you’re looking for something all-purpose that is also built to last a very long time.
- Foldable for easy storage in your pocket
- High-quality stainless steel that guarantees durability
- Very affordable for nearly everyone
- Some complaints about the blade breaking and/or bending easily
- Some users claim the safety device didn’t work, making the knife unsafe
- Some complaints about how difficult it is to open
Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Knife
The Gerber Bear Grylls serrated knife is the perfect cutting tool for slicing, piercing, and more thanks to its drop point carbon steel blade and its serrated edge. On any list of the best hunting knives, there is always more than one fixed blade knife that comes in HC steel for durability and longevity, and this is one of those products. It is very reasonably priced and has a textured handle for the perfect grip, making it easy to maneuver from one project to another.
It also comes with a mildew-resistant nylon sheath to make it easy to protect and to carry from one location to another.
- Super high-quality blades and handles
- Handles are ergonomically designed and offers steady gripping power
- Very reasonably priced
- Some users claim the sheath fell apart quickly
- Some complaints about the blade chipping easily
- Some users claim the blade rusted quickly
MTech USA MT-A845BK Spring Assist Folding Knife
Available in four different color themes, the MTech USA folding knife has a 3.75″ blade and a 5.25″ aluminum handle, and they all come with an embossed design that makes the knife a definite eye-catcher. One even comes in the design of an American flag. It comes with a glass-breaking feature in case you’re ever in an automobile accident and can open, close, and be stored away quickly and easily.
In addition, the MTech USA folding knife is very heavy-duty and hefty, good enough to be used for both hunting and fishing as well as household chores that you still may not have gotten to yet.
- A lot of bang for your buck thanks to its reasonable price
- Multi-purpose knife you can use every day for something
- For a foldable knife, it is a great size
- Some complaints about the locking mechanism breaking quickly
- Some users claim the spring-assist feature is very weak
- Some complaints about the overall quality of the knife
Buck Knives 119 Special Fixed Blade Knife
This is the perfect hunting knife for many reasons. First of all, it comes with a high-quality leather sheath for protection and ease of carrying around, and its 6″ clip point blade is perfect for most outdoor and even indoor tasks. No fishing, camping, or hunting trip is complete without a good versatile knife, and this one makes a great cutting tool for rope, meat and other food, and so much more. In fact, you’ll never run out of ideas for things to do with this knife.
The overall length of the knife is a little more than 10 inches, making it the perfect knife and one you’ll be able to enjoy for many years to come. This product is made by a company that has been around for a while, so they know just what they’re doing when it comes to making sports equipment.
- Offers a lifetime warranty for the peace of mind you deserve
- Aluminum pommel and phenolic handles provide both beauty and stability
- Handles come in both black and wood colors
- Some complaints about the handle falling apart quickly
- Some users claim it was defective (holes in it)
- Some complaints about overall quality
Gerber Freeman Guide Folding Knife
This is a drop point knife that folds and comes in either a full fine-edge blade or a gut hook design. Gerber makes some of the finest products on the market, and this particular knife will show you why. The nylon sheath is sturdy and water-resistant and the handle includes large finger grooves for extra comfort and security. The TacHide onlay means the handle is textured to make it easy to grip, and it is lightweight and therefore very easy to carry.
This knife is usually on any list of popular hunting knives because its unique design and high-quality materials make it a knife that no one will be able to live without.
- Foldable for ease of storing it away
- A sturdy hunting knife regardless of the type of game you’re hunting
- Very affordable for nearly everyone
- Some users claim the lock mechanism doesn’t work
- Some complaints that the knife doesn’t grip well
- Some complaints about the blade breaking quickly
Buck Knives 192 Vanguard Fixed Blade Knife
Razor sharp and versatile as only Buck Knives can be, the drop point feature makes it super convenient for a variety of tasks for your next fishing, hunting, or camping expedition. These full tang hunting knives come with a walnut handle and an integrated finger coil for the perfect comfort and grip. The blades are a little more than 4″ long and the knives themselves come with the lifetime warranty you need and deserve. They provide both great strength and excellent edge retention, making them some of the best hunting knives on the market.
- Excellent warranty for great peace of mind
- Comes with a leather sheath and snap fastener
- Can even handle cutting through extra-thick items
- Some complaints about overall quality
- Some users claim working with some game instantly dulls the knife
- Some complaints about the design being uncomfortable or inconvenient
Benchmade - Hunter 15016-2 Compact Hunting Knife
With a drop point blade and leather sheath for your belt loop, these knives have extra-wide blades to accommodate a variety of tasks regardless of the type of game you prefer. The natural wood handle even has a hole in it in case you want to use it with a lanyard, and it makes the perfect cutting tool for all types of tasks, both outdoors and indoors. These are full tang fixed blades that are usually included in the most current list of top hunting knives, and they provide a lot of value for the money.
- Very high-quality knives that are built to last
- Perfect for tackle boxes, backpacks, survival kits, and much more
- These knives are both durable and attractive
- Some users have complained about the low quality of the sheath
- Some complaints about the blades coming in dull
- Some consider it too expensive
Best Hunting Knives – A Quick Comparison
Those were our reviews of currently the most popular Hunting Knives on the market – see how they compare and find the one that suits your needs. There’s an Hunting knife for everyone’s taste and budget, and we’re sure you’ll find one to your liking.
Two Blades In One
Outdoor Edge RazorPro
- Japanese 42J2 Stainless Steel Replacement Blades
- Rubberized Tpr Handle
- Never Sharpen Your Knife Again – Change Blades Fast And Easy!
With Genuine Leather Sheath
Buck Knives 0110BRS 110
- The clip point blade has a very sharp controllable point
- Easy to open with a nail notch on the blade
- Includes a genuine high quality protective leather sheath with snap fastener
ESEE 5P Black
- The ESEE-5 is a knife that can handle even the roughest survival situations
- Designed By Military SERE Instructor
- The Handle is made out of tan Micarta canvas
Nylon Fiber Hard Sheath
Snake Eye Tactical
- Full Tang Fixed Blade knife
- Stainless Steel Black Finish Plain Clip Point Blade
- Black Nylon Fiber Handle
Nylon Holster Included
Havalon Piranta Z
- 12 additional stainless steel #60A blades, 2-3/4″
- Rugged stain resistant ABS plastic handle
- Overall length 7-1/4″
- The StrongArm features a black handle and a fine edge
- Ceramic blade coating and rubberized diamond texture grip
- A striking pommel at the base of the handle breaks through hard surfaces
Full Tang Heavy Duty
KA-BAR Becker BK2
- Made in Olean New York, U.S.A
- Designed by Ethan Becker
- Manufactured by KA-BAR Knives Inc.
- Comes with a hard shell black nylon sheath.
Sandvik Stainless Steel Blade
- Versatile fixed-blade outdoor knife
- High-quality Swedish steel is razor sharp and exceptionally tough
- Patterned, high-friction grip sits comfortably in the hand
Attractive Blade Coating
- High-Performance Steel
- Secure Locking System
- One-Handed Flipper
- Convenient Pocket Clip
Gerber Bear Grylls
- Full tang blade construction for maximum durability
- Ergonomic textured rubber grip maximizes comfort and reduces slippage
- Stainless steel pommel at base of handle for hammering
- Emergency whistle integrated into lanyard cord
Spring assist Folding knife
MTech USA MT-A845BK
- Black stainless steel blade with thumb stud for faster deployment
- Black aluminum handle with cut-out design
- Pocket clip for easy and safe carry; seatbelt cutter and Glass breaker for emergencies
Comfortable Grip & Balance
Buck Knives 119
- Razor Sharp Clip Point Blade
- This knife is proudly made in the USA
- The clip blade is good for piercing, detail work, and cutting in tight places
Fine Edge Sheath Folder
- Lightweight Handle – Easy to carry
- TacHide Onlay – For secure grip in all conditions
- Liner Lock
- Full Fine Edge Blade or Gut Hook
- Nylon Sheath – Wear resistant
Full Tang Construction
Buck Knives 192
- Razor Sharp & Versatile
- Solid Build, Smart Design
- Comfortable Grip And Balance
- Convenient Carry
- Made In The Usa – Forever Warranty
Plain Edge-Wood Handle
Benchmade - Hunter 15016-2
- Built For The Hunt
- American Made Cpm-s30v Steel
- Stabilized Wood Handle
- Superior Tactical Use
The Best Hunting Knife
Whether you’re in the market for a brand new hunting knife or you’re getting one for the very first time, you want to make sure you get one that will suit your needs. This means that everything from the blade to the handle, and everything in between, has to enhance the hunting experience and not make it more difficult. For this, you need to look at each characteristic of the blade to make sure it is the one you’ll keep for a lifetime. Remember, this factor is important when researching the best hunting knives on the market today.
The blade shape is one of the most important characteristics of any hunting knife, and you’ll find several types to choose from. The two most common blade shapes are the clip point and the drop point blades. The clip point blades come to a sharp point and are best used for intricate work, while drop point blades can handle lateral pressure a little better. Overall, the drop point blade is a little more durable than the clip point blade because of its shape and thickness.
Other lesser-known blade types include the trailing, spear, and tanto blades; however, these are not nearly as common as the first two types.
Naturally, the handle of the hunting knife makes a big difference in which one you choose. Hunting knives can have many types of handles, including micarta, G10, and rubber handles. A good grip and smoothness are what you’ll want most of all, so it’s good to test them out in person at a sporting goods store whenever possible. Natural wood is another possibility, and keep in mind that any handle that is hollow won’t be full tang, which means the blade won’t go all the way to the end of the handle – it will stop where the blade meets the top part of the handle.
A micarta handle is made out of a laminate of some type of organic material such as cloth or paper that is dried in resin and, therefore, has a softer feel than many other blade types. You can also get a nylon handle, titanium handle, carbon filter handle, and handles made out of aluminum, polymer, and of course, stainless steel.
Now let’s talk about the tang. What are these “full tang” items that you hear so much about? Full tang means the blade goes through the entire handle instead of being glued into the top of it and stopping there. If you’ve ever gone hunting before, you can figure out why this is so important. A full tang hunting knife is going to be sturdier and much less likely to break, so whether you’re big-game hunting or just need a good skinning knife, this is the type most hunters want.
Next, you should consider the type of steel the blade is made of. The two most common types are stainless steel and high carbon, or HC cold steel. Both of these types are sturdy and reliable, but the carbon steel, or HC steel is stronger, lasts longer, and is easier when it comes to sharpening your knife. It is also more expensive than stainless steel, which is why many hunters stick with stainless steel. The good thing is that both the HC and the stainless steel blade knives are perfect for hunting tools, so you’ll just have to decide how much you wish to spend to get the item you consider right for you.
A good hunting knife needs a protective cover, and that’s what a sheath is for. Just like other parts of this item, the sheath is made out of various materials. Sheaths have loops that attach to your belt loop and sometimes even a loop that straps around your leg for extra security. A cover for your knife may not seem that important, but you need something not just to make carrying it around much easier but also something to protect the knife as you go about your day.
Finally, you need to take a look at the butt of the knife, also called the pommel. While survival knives often use the pommel as another way to add special features onto the knife without making it into something too complicated, hunting knives generally have one that is sturdy and strong instead. But a well-made pommel can also be used to break a window or for some type of self-defense move if necessary, which is another reason this part of a hunting knife is solid and strong.
What Is a Hunting Knife?
Simply put, hunting knives are needed to cut rope, carve meat, gut game, and much more. Because they are used on everything from skinning animals to carving meat, they have to be very versatile and multifunctional. A good hunting knife consists of high-quality parts throughout, including the blades, handles, and protective sheaths.
What Types Of Blades Does a Hunting Knife Have?
Hunting blades can be fixed or folding and can also come in designs that include gut hook blades for field dressing wild game, needle point blades for piercing animals and various objects, straight-back blades for slicing and chopping meats and other foods, sheepsfoot blades that make piercing easier, spey point blades that are often used in trapper blades, and Wharncliffe blades that are also used for slicing meats without accidentally piercing something.
What Are The Different Types Of Hunting Knives?
There are seven main types of hunting knives. These include camp knives used for different tasks around the campsite, bowies that are double-edged at the tip, boning knives that remove meat from carcasses, caping knives that you can use to preserve an animal’s head when you want a game trophy, buck knives that are usually large and fold up, skinning knives that are used to skin game, and two-edged hunting knives used as all-purpose hunting knives.
How To Choose The Right Hunting Knife For Your Needs?
Choosing the best hunting knife is simple because the best one completely depends on your particular needs. The best hunting knives are determined after you decide the purpose of your trip (hunting, fishing, and so on) and the type of animal concerned (deer, elk, fish, and so on). Carbon fiber knives might be good for one trip, while other trips may require one made from cold steel. Most sports enthusiasts plan their trip first then make a list of the items they’ll need, and a little research on these products doesn’t hurt, either.
Things to Consider When Purchasing a Hunting Knife
When looking for the best products for your next hunting trip, the overall quality of the items is crucial, which means finding a reputable company and reading up on reviews left by real-life customers, which you can do online. Even a good hunting knife or bushcraft knives can be found on all sorts of of hunting and outdoors websites, which lists products from all over the world. Once you find a reputable company and research reviews, you should be able to find the right product that you feel comfortable with.
Hunting, camping, and fishing are only successful with the right knives, which means doing your due diligence is the only way to make sure you get a sturdy, reliable, and long-lasting product that not only suits your needs but can also be used on future sports trips that you’ve come to love. Reviewing a list of top-rated products can help you decide which ones you’ll likely be the most satisfied with, and you should look for a great warranty just to be on the safe side.